Follow our 4th Ward Special Election Day coverage throughout the day, Feb. 28, at hpherald.com.
A special election for 4th Ward Alderman will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 28, due to the resignation of former Ald. Will Burns last February. In the interim, Mayor Rahm Emanuel appointed Ald. Sophia King (4th) to serve the ward, which includes parts of the Hyde Park, Kenwood, Bronzeville and South Loop neighborhoods.
Candidates running for alderman in the upcoming election include Ebony Lucas, Marcellus H. Moore, Jr., King, Gregory Livingston and Gerald Scott McCarthy. The candidate that is chosen will serve the remainder of the term, which is two years.
If necessary, a run-off election will take place on Tuesday, April 4.
A word from the candidates:
To read in the candidates’ own words why he or she is running for 4th Ward Alderman, click here.
Polling places will be open to registered voters of the 4th Ward from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Polling places located in the Hyde Park neighborhood include:
• Hyde Park Neighborhood Club, 5480 S. Kenwood Ave.
• Harper Square Co-Operative, 4850 S. Lake Park Ave.
• Alpha Towers Apartments, 936 E. 47th St.
• Shoesmith Elementary School, 1330 E. 50th St.
• Washington Park Apartments, 4949 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
• United Church of Hyde Park, 1448 E. 53rd St.
• Drexel Square Apartments, 810 E. Hyde Park Blvd.
For a full list of polling places in the 4th Ward and for more information on the special election, visit chicagoelections.com.