By TONIA HILL
Renovations are on the way in the John Crerar Library, 5730 S. Ellis Ave., at the University of Chicago (U. of C.). The Department of Computer Science, 1100 E. 58th St., and the Computation Institute, 5735 S. Ellis Ave., will now be housed in the library.
Included in renovations for the library are a variety of research services for faculty and students on campus, which will transform the building into a hub for collaboration, instruction, research and support centered on computing and data science.
Work on the building’s top two floors began last month and will create a state-of-the-art academic space including closed and open offices, conference rooms, spaces for experimental research, graduate student offices and a gathering area for department seminars. Windows will also be added to the building’s façade on the top floor and skylights to the roof in to order to allow natural light into the floor plan.
The first floor, Computer Science Instructional Laboratory will be expanded to accommodate student and interest and demand for Computer Science courses. The first floor of the library will continue to serve library users. A new services desk as well as a café will be built to update the lobby.
The Department of Computer Sciences is currently housed in the Department of Computer Science currently resides in the Ryerson Physical Laboratory building, and the Computation Institute is located in the Searle Chemistry Laboratory building.