Police Blotter


The University of Chicago Police listed the following incidents as having occurred between August 31 and September 9.

On Friday, Aug. 31, at 12:30 p.m., the UCPD received a report
of a theft that occurred on Monday, Aug. 27, between 5:20 p.m.
and 5:40 p.m. at the Plein Air Cafe, 5751 S. Woodlawn Ave. A
suspect distracted the victim and took a wallet from the tabletop,
and subsequent unauthorized use of credit cards was reported.
On Saturday, Sept. 1, at 10:15 a.m., a suspect grabbed a cash
box from a merchant’s stand at the 61st Street Farmers’ Market.
UCPD officers located and arrested the suspect, and all stolen
property was recovered and returned to the owner.

On Sunday, Sept. 2, at 9:39 a.m., a UCPD officer observed a
suspect entering an open residential garage on the 6100 South
block of Woodlawn Avenue and arrested the suspect upon the
resident’s complaint.

On Monday, Sept. 3, at 10:46 a.m., the UCPD received a report
of a suspect discharging a fire extinguisher in the men’s and
women’s restrooms on the west basement level of the University
of Chicago (U. of C.) School of Social Service Administration, 969
E. 60th St., at some point after 2 p.m. on Aug. 31.

On Tuesday, Sept. 4, at 8:15 a.m., a white Ford vehicle making
a left turn northbound onto the 5400 South block of Ellis Avenue
from 54th Place struck a cyclist traveling southbound on Ellis Avenue.
The motorist fled the scene without stopping, and the victim
declined medical assistance. The Chicago Police are

On Wednesday, Sept. 5, at 12:16 a.m., a UCPD officer saw a
suspect fire a handgun on the street at 4915 S. Drexel Ave., arrested
the suspect and recovered the firearm.

On Thursday, Sept. 6, at 11:55 p.m., a UCPD officer arrested a
motorist for a DUI and other traffic violations at 5045 S. Drexel

On Friday, Sept. 7, at 3:04 p.m.
, a Chicago Police officer saw a
suspect strike a victim with his fist on the sidewalk at 4742 S.
Woodlawn Ave. The men had met to discuss the sale of a bicycle,
and the offender struck the victim when he declined to buy.
The suspect, who was fleeing the scene, was arrested and
charged with battery; the victim, who was clutching his eye, was
transported to the U. of C. Medical Center emergency room by
Chicago Fire Department emergency medical services for treatment.