By AARON GETTINGER
Tomorrow is Election Day. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Everyone in line by 7 has the right to vote.
The election between Gov. Bruce Rauner (R) and J.B. Pritzker (D) is the marquee race in Illinois, though four other elected state executive offices — secretary of state, attorney general, treasurer and comptroller — are also up for grabs, as are federal and state legislative, Water District, Cook County and judicial elections and county and city ballot questions.
Local Democratic State Sen. Kwame Raoul (13th) is running against Erika Harold (R) for Illinois Attorney General. Both of the Hyde Park–Kenwood members of the U.S. House of Representatives are running for reelection; 25th State House District Democratic nominee Curtis Tarver and incumbent State Rep. Christian Mitchell (26th) are running unopposed, as are County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and Fritz Kaegi, a Hyde Park native, for County Assessor.
Precinct polling places in Ward 4 are:
● 1: The Hyde Park Neighborhood Club, 5480 S. Kenwood Ave.
● 9: Harper Square Cooperative Apartments, 4800 S. Lake Park Ave.
● 15: Alpha Tower Apartments, 936 E. 47th St.
● 22, 23 and 24: Shoesmith Elementary School, 1330 E. 50th St.
● 26: Washington Park Apartments, 4949 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
● 27: Canter Middle School, 4959 S. Blackstone Ave.
● 31: Newport Condominium Association, 4800 S. Chicago Beach Dr.
● 33: Drexel Square Apartments, 810 E. Hyde Park Blvd.
Precinct polling places in Ward 5 are:
● 3: Augustana Lutheran Church, 5500 S. Woodlawn Ave.
● 4 and 21: Kozminski Community Academy, 936 E. 54th St.
● 7 and 22: Regents Park Apartments, 5050 S. Lake Shore Drive
● 8 and 27: Ray Elementary School, 5631 S. Kimbark Ave.
● 9: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5200 S. University Ave.
● 11: Carolan Apartments, 5480 S. Cornell Ave.
● 15: Hyde Park West Apartments, 5325 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
● 18 and 23: Catholic Theological Union, 5416 S. Cornell Ave.
● 19: Pioneer Co-Op, 5429 S. Dorchester Ave.
● 20: Congregation Rodfei Zedek: 5200 S. Hyde Park Blvd.
● 24: Hyde Park Shopping Center basement, 1526 E. 55th St.
● 34: The Cloisters, 5801 S. Dorchester Ave.
● 35 and 41: 1700 East 56th Street Condominium Association, ibid.
● 37: Montgomery Place, 5550 S. Shore Drive.
● 39: University Park Condominium Association, 1451 E. 55th St.
Please note that some precincts share a polling place.
Citizens must live in a precinct for at least 30 days before an election to vote. Voters are entitled to vote at their old polling place if they moved fewer than 31 days before the election and may take young children into the voting booth. Election judges or eligible relatives or friends can help with voting.
Citizens can register or update their registration and vote at their precinct polling place on Election Day with two forms of identification, one of which must include the voter’s current address.
Acceptable forms of identification include a passport, a driver’s license, school identification, a lease, a credit or debit card, a social security card, an insurance card (including Medicare and Medicaid cards), union or professional membership cards or LINK cards. Bills, transcripts, report cards, bank or pension statements, pay stubs, bills or official mail from government agencies are also acceptable forms of identification.
Voters without identification can cast provisional ballots; voters must present identification within seven days of the election to the Chicago Election Board, 69 W. Washington St., Suite 600.
The Chicago Board of Election Commissioners’ “Election Central” office can be reached tomorrow at 312-269-7870; the Board’s website is www.chicagoelections.com.
The Herald will publish results, reactions, analysis and commentary online as the returns come in and in the Nov. 14 print edition.